Frequent Questions

Am I required to register biodiesel? How would I do that?

Manufacturers/importers of biodiesel for on-road use are required to register the fuel with the EPA.  

To register, complete EPA Form 3520-12 available here: 


Additionally, please attach the following information to the form: 

  1. Description of raw materials used to manufacture the biodiesel.
  2. Description of the process used to manufacture the biodiesel.
  3. Laboratory test report for the biodiesel.  (We are looking for the fuel to meet ASTM D6751).
  4. You need to group with the National Biodiesel Board (NBB) to meet the Tier 1 and Tier 2 health effects as needed (Please see item 13 on EPA Form 3520-12.) but their permission is no longer needed.

A separate registration is also required for the diesel sulfur program and the renewable fuel standard program via the Central Data Exchange.  Please see:

Have more questions? Submit a request