Frequent Questions

Will ethanol and biodiesel plants have to track the RIN all the way to the refiner, or just to the next owner of the renewable fuel?

Refer to the response to Question 3.3. Each party that owns assigned or unassigned RINs, including an ethanol or biodiesel production plant, is required only to keep records of and report transfers of ownership of those RINs its receives and that is passes to the next owner. See sections 80.1151 and 80.1152 of the regulation.

Question and Answer was originally posted at
Have more questions? Submit a request